On small farms people have animals to feed, hay to bring in from the fields, orchards to prune and then harvest, gardens to tend along with machinery and tractors to keep going . They are doing very real work which when painted involves landscape and figurative work . My Farm watercolour or acrylic paintings are built on straight forward drawings I make from my gathered observations in my rural area.
I paint watercolour landscapes en plein air capturing the always changing atmosphere and colours of the farm fields and mountains. I enjoy the contrast of immediacy of painting in plein air with the drawing and planning needed for my Farm paintings. My influences have also come from Asian travels and study of Asian thought and painting, the botanical landscape and a continuing interest in fabric dying and textile work.
Since 1974 I have lived in Canyon, near Creston, moving from Richmond here with my husband Andy Alfoldy and our daughter Sandra. Our second daughter Sylvia was born in the Kootenays. Together Andy and I have been professional artists since 1970.
We met at the Vancouver School of Art [now Emily Carr University] in 1963, graduating in 1967.
Working with dyes and wax resist on fabric we created large wall hangings and silk scarves, followed by paper batik watercolours on tissue. Paper batik watercolours remain an important part of our work.
We mailed our work across Canada to stores and galleries , as well as opening our Alfoldy Gallery in 1982 at Kuskanook on Kootenay Lake. We moved our gallery closer to Creston in Erickson in 2001 .
Our Alfoldy Gallery holds our artwork which includes traditional framed watercolour paintings , paper batik watercolour paintings on tissue paper, and photo cards of our paintings.
I continue to create and display fabric wall-hangings that are directly painted or dyed in the batik method. As well I paint using acrylics on canvas. My influences have also come from Asian travels and study of Asian thought and painting, the botanical landscape and a continuing interest in fabric dying and textile work .
Education -Vancouver School of Art [now Emily Carr University] 1963- 1967, graduate in Design and Print Making
- The Annual Images Art Show and Sale , 1997 – present , Creston
- The West Kootenay Chapter , Federation of Canadian Artists annual juried show -2000 to the present . Shows have been at VISAC Gallery Trail, Kootenay Gallery Castlegar , Gallery 378 Craft Connection , Nelson
- Two In The Slow Lane , 2005 , Kootenay Gallery , Castlegar , with Andy Alfoldy
- ArtWalk Nelson , at the Craft Connection ,1996 and 2000
- ArtWalk / Art Drive – Creston and The East Shore of Kootenay Lake-1995 to the present
- The Craft Connection , Nelson – Ongoing display since 1990
- The Alfoldy Gallery , Erickson , B.C since 1982 to the present